Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Great News!

That was my catchy hook to try to draw you all in. Did it work?

Anyways, I apologize for waiting almost a month to post something, but my internet access has been a little bit more limited than I anticipated. There is actually good news, in that the latest package arrived. I was very excited to find a douchebag (solar shower), hot tamales (eatien in their entirety within the first hour of opening by my friends and me), and ten packs of beef, turkey, and buffalo jerkey. I'm down to one packet of beef teriyaki, one packet of beef original, and one packet of the buffalo sweet & spicy, which is my favorite. That means in the last week I've eaten over 200 grams of protein. Impressive.

Anyways, I've installed in Karang. It's a town of somewhere between 8,000 and 12,000 right on the border with the Gambia. I have not been, but I arranged with my program director to be able to go to the market there because things are much, much cheaper than in Senegal. My family is very nice. There are many of them, and I am still sorting out exactly who belongs to whom. Peace Corps Senegal suggests that you not try to start any serious work in your first couple months, so I've spent most of my time just walking around, talking to people, and practicing Wolof. We're going to one of the more major cities today, so I can get a burger. I'm excited. I may post twice today if there is wifi at the hotel.

"We can sew!"

4 comments:

  1. It's so great to hear from you, Noah. There's actually a little more jerky coming, but not as much. It's all courtesy of Aunt Kamala. We're waiting on the camera stuff. Other requests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you!! You sound cheerful, good. We are going along just fine (thinking you might like specifics here) Do you see ourblog and my flickr account? I put up pics of the trimming of the East Willow at the lake. I think they are nice. We planted a new West Willow. Piano lessons, yes, ROS GEH all the same as usual. Should I venture out? No, I am too busy as it is. Do you have other P.C. people in Karang? lots of love to you Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sew, very old one. Sew like the wind!"
    PS- I totally talked to Sir Ian McKellen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't catch the reference until Hannah's comment. I feel ashamed.

    ReplyDelete