Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Fastest Blog Post Ever Written

I have only 9% of battery left, so I will try to cover things quickly. I am currently uploading pictures to flickr, but I don't know how far I will get. The set is pretty big. It automatically uploaded the video first. That is a video of us at Magic Land (yes, Magic Land), the amusement park in Dakar. It reminded me a lot of Coney Island, just with less character and far more dangerous. It was so fun. This is a video of us on the bump jump. We didn't understand the name until about halfway through that video. We also decided that pictures taken on the Pop Art setting on my camera just look better. Casey and Monica also feel that my camera takes off a few pounds, which they like. It tends to make some people look emaciated.



Thanksgiving in Dakar was very nice. There is a picture of my plate. It was the first plate that I had eaten food off of with a fork in some time. I am looking forward to more of that. The ambassador and his family were very nice, and a crowd of about 55 Peace Corps volunteers and 11 expats and embassy workers cleaned up a table with about 2 metric tons of imported turkey, mashed potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, gravy, pasta salad, garlic bread (which Casey and I made and brought at a cost of 20,000 cfa, or roughly $40 American), and maybe 90 pies. It was delicious. They also had real wine, which was nice.

7%. I'm going fast. I just realized I never took a picture of the Magic Land sign, which was dumb. So we also went to the mall (twice), and got gelato. It was nice, but being somewhere like that for too long can kind of make you crazy.

Whoa 2%. You should all check out Stuff Expat Aid Workers Like. It is a funny blog that also describes Peace Corps volunteers pretty well.

It looks like flickr has successfully uploaded the picture of my Thanksgiving dinner, which is what I care about most, so I'll leave this at that.

Movie Quotes:

Actually TV Quotes (I've been watching Arrested Development and Battlestar Galactica):

"I have the ball."
"I've made a huge mistake."

Welcome to the DANGER ZONE. (I also watched Top Gun).

3 comments:

  1. good to hear from you. Glad you had a nice thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Aunt Sara is right about the origin of those rides. (flickr comment.) Can you tell us about the rakshabandhan-like event?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was our subregional install party we held at a campement for the new agriculture volunteers in our area. I hadn't applied the rakhis yet due to lack of camera, and a frenzy ensued. It was nice.

    ReplyDelete