Friday, June 3, 2011

(Non-human) Things I Will Miss Part 1

I'm expecting Senegal to have a lot to offer, but there are a few things that I very much enjoy here in the U.S. that I won't be able to access to the same degree in Africa. This is going to be part 1 of a long-running series that will probably continue as long as I can find things that I no longer have.

1. New Top Gear-Twice a year this British car show releases 6 episodes and 1 special of some of the best television I think has ever been made. If you don't watch this now, you should. Though the show is very popular across the developing world, new Top Gear is available almost exclusively in Europe.

2. New South Park-Also a fantastic TV show. It is written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Some of you may recognize their names as the writers of the new hit Broadway musical The Book of Mormon. I strongly recommend you watch the All About the Mormons episode of South Park (season 7, episode 12) on netflix or at southparkstudios.com. Sadly, it seems like they have been trying to get kicked off the air for about 6 years, so I don't know how much longer it will be before they are cancelled or murdered.

3. The next Grand Theft Auto game-You haven't been able to beat prostitutes to death in the last few installments of the game, but that doesn't mean they have lost their touch. If you want to experience a tongue in cheek look at the criminal underworld, look no farther than these games. There has been a lot of speculation about a possible Grand Theft Auto V, and likely it will be released while I'm still abroad.

4. A possible new Rage Against the Machine Album-The band broke up when I was in middle school, but they got back together in 2008 after almost a decade. Unfortunately, because of scheduling issues I haven't been able to see a concert. They have said that they might release a new album soon, and though those rumors aren't confirmed, if they do I will miss it.

5. Stratford-Last but not least is are the annual family trips to Stratford. Though I will be sad that I don't get to see any shows for the next few years, I am more saddened by the lack of the Lord of the Flies-esque situation when poor Grandma is left alone at the lake with 23 children and 9 dogs.

Look for my "(Non-human) Things I will need to do when I get back" and "(Non-human) Things I will not miss when I'm abroad" lists coming soon.

1 comment: